Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is – is the collective fundraising arm of WHAT’S UP?!, Working and Healing To Abolish Total Supremacy, Undermining Privilege. WHAT’S UP?! is a Pittsburgh based collective working to create a world that is free of destructive white privilege and oppression. We organize study groups, facilitate community conversations on race, and participate in social justice campaigns, among other things. We are fighting for the day when organizations like this are no longer necessary and collective liberation is a reality.
We want to PUT OUR MONEY WHERE OUR MOUTH IS! By pulling our resources our donations can make a bigger impact to groups and campaigns. We hope this initiative is easy on the effort and big on the impact!
A Bit of WHAT’S UP?! History
What’s Up?! was formed in the fall of 2011, by a group of white-identified people studying anti-racism and participating in corresponding actions to challenge white supremacy. Our original name was WWHAT’S UP? (Whites Working and Hoping to Abolish Total Supremacy, Undermining Privilege). Because our core group is now multi-racial, WHAT’S UP?! changed our name by dropping the first “W” in the summer of 2014. We changed Hoping to Healing to acknowledge that we all need to heal from racism.
- Racism hurts everyone and that unlearning racism is liberating for all
- Personal transformation is necessary
- To change everything we need everyone. Everyone has a role in dismantling oppressions. It’s vital to create accessible spaces that allow for the full participation of everyone
- We must work as whole people acknowledging intersectionalities of oppression
- Transparency and engaging in accountability is empowering
- This is a life-long journey of learning, unlearning, growing, and evolving
- Love is a tool for change
WHAT’S UP?!’s Goals
- To educate ourselves and strengthen our abilities to work for racial justice
- To support and encourage white people to challenge white supremacy, personally, organizationally and institutionally.
- To work in collaboration with organizations led by people of color and other allied individuals & groups in the struggle for racial justice and collective liberation